The Chairman’s Award is the most prestigious award at FIRST, it honors the team that best represents a model for other teams to emulate and best embodies the purpose and goals of FIRST. It was created to keep the central focus of FIRST Robotics Competition on the ultimate goal of transforming the culture in ways that will inspire greater levels of respect and honor for science and technology, as well as encouraging more of today’s youth to become scientists, engineers, and technologists.
In an effort to recognize the leadership and dedication of FIRST’s most outstanding secondary school students, the Kamen family sponsors awards for selected 10th or 11th grade* students known as the FIRST Robotics Competition® FIRST Dean’s List and the FIRST Tech Challenge FIRST Dean’s List.
Similar to the very prestigious National Merit Scholarship Award, there are three (3) levels of FIRST Dean’s List Award students.
- FIRST Robotics Competition & FIRST Tech Challenge FIRST Dean’s List Semi-finalists, the group of two(2) students in their 10th or 11th school year* nominated by each FIRST Robotics Competition or FIRST Tech Challenge team as applicable
- FIRST Robotics Competition & FIRST Tech Challenge FIRST Dean’s List Finalists comprised of the two (2) students selected at each FIRST Tech Challenge Championship Tournament, FIRST Robotics Competition Regional or FIRST Robotics Competition District Championship (the Qualifying Events). At FIRST Robotics Competition District Championships, more than two (2) students may be selected, depending on the size of the district.
- FIRST Robotics Competition & FIRST Tech Challenge FIRST Dean’s List winners for both FIRST Robotics Competition and FIRST Tech Challenge are the students selected from the applicable FIRST Dean’s List Finalists at the FIRST Championship.
The students who earn FIRST Robotics Competition or FIRST Tech Challenge FIRST Dean’s List status as either a Semifinalist, Finalist or winner, will not only be great examples of current student leaders who have led their FIRST Robotics Competition or FIRST Tech Challenge teams and communities to increased awareness for FIRST and its mission while achieving personal technical expertise and accomplishment, but it is FIRST’s goal that all Dean’s List Semi-Finalists, Finalists, and winners will continue on, post award, as great leaders of FIRST’s ever growing student alumni.
Since its introduction in 2010, the FIRST Dean’s List Award has attracted the attention of prestigious colleges and universities who desire to have FIRST Dean’s List students apply for admissions. As FIRST believes such interest is beneficial to our students, those students selected as Finalists and winners will be asked to provide written consent for the release and use of certain personal information, including image, to interested colleges/universities for the sole purpose of allowing those institutions to contact the students if they wish. Colleges/universities have expressed interest in meeting FIRST Dean’s List Award winners and FIRST hopes that each team will take advantage of the opportunity to nominate two of their best students as FIRST Dean’s list Semi-finalists.
*Note for regions of the world that do not use grade levels such as this to identify years of schooling: This award is intended for students who are two (2) to three (3) years away from entering college or university. Students that would be attending college or university in the next academic year are not eligible.
Woodie flowers Award
The Woodie Flowers Award celebrates effective communication in the art and science of engineering and design. Dr. William Murphy founded this prestigious award in 1996 to recognize mentors who lead, inspire and empower using excellent communication skills.
Two subcategories are awarded:
- The Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (WFFA) is presented to one adult mentor at each Regional Competition or District Championship.
- The Woodie Flowers Award (WFA) is presented to one WFFA winner at the FIRST Championship
This award celebrates the entrepreneurial spirit and recognizes a team which has developed a comprehensive business plan in order to define, manage and achieve the team’s objectives. This team displays entrepreneurial enthusiasm and the vital business skills to ensure a self-sustaining program.
Full documentation can be found at www.firstinspires.org